Basingstoke Model Aero Club (BMAC) aims to promote interest in model aircraft and provides facilities for radio-controlled model flying for recreational use. It has been in existence for nearly 60 years. We were founded in 1959 and moved to our current site in 1995.
BMAC is affiliated to the British Model Flying Association (BMFA) and operates within BMFA guidelines.The BMFA is the national governing body of our sport and model flying is recognised as a sport by the Sports Council.
Members fly many types of models including fixed-wing, helicopters and multirotors (drones).
The Club has several qualified trainers who are happy to give you free instruction and take you through the BMFA Achievement Scheme. Our BMFA-qualified examiners can then test you and award the appropriate BMFA Achievement Scheme certificates.
Our flying field is just north of the village of Deane, off the B3400. The field is available for flying every day of the week, although you will find more flyers at the site on Sundays.
We can fly all year round.
The field is available from 9 am on weekdays and Saturdays, and 10 am on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Finishing time for all i/c models is 8 pm on weekdays, 7 pm at weekends, or sunset if that is earlier. In the summer months quiet electric models may be flown after the stated finishing times, but only until sunset. Night flying is not permitted.
If you think you might like to join the Club, bear these advantages in mind:
- Large well-kept field – A 3-acre flying field, running roughly east-west, that is kept in immaculate condition.
- No sun in your eyes – Pilots stand south of the flight line so the sun is always behind them.
- Easy parking close to flight line and mostly in shade – So no carrying of models and equipment over rough ground or long distances.
- Flying is well away from people and buildings – The field is rented from a local farmer and is situated away from buildings, walks, pathways and electricity pylons.
- BMFA affiliated – Membership includes BMFA membership, which gives you £25m public liability insurance and other benefits.
- Long flying hours – Flying, in daylight, every day of the year.
- Indoor flying – Monthly sessions during the winter season.
- Discount on purchases – Club members are able to get a discount at Andover Model Centre. Prove you’re a member of BMAC and you’ll receive a 10% discount on all of your purchases.
- Helpful and friendly members – The Club is full of helpful and friendly members with a wealth of information and experience.